Ad Astra ("to the stars"), the award winning magazine of the National Space Society (NSS), has recently published a special report covering space-based solar power (SBSP). This richly illustrated special report explains the technologies behind SBSP in an easy to understand way. Included is a fascinating conversation with Dr. Pete Glaser, now 84 and considered the father of the space-based solar power concept.
A large portion of the special report details the efforts of the Space-Based Solar Power Study Group who, in conjunction with the National Space Security Office (NSSO), published Space-Based Solar Power As an Opportunity for Strategic Security – Phase 0 Architecture Feasibility Study in October of 2007.
This special report includes the following five articles which discuss the potential for space-based solar power, with looks at its history, its current strategic importance and ways forward to make it a reality.
- ENERGY FROM ORBIT – John C. Mankins
- AN ENERGY PIONEER LOOKS BACK – William Ledbetter
- STRATEGIC IMPORTANCE – Space-Based Solar Power Study Group
- A NEW COALITION – Arthur Smith
- ON THE MOON – Al Globus
- National Space Society (NSS)
- adAstra – the magazine of the NSS
- Additional information on Space-Based Solar Power from the NSS
- National Space Security Office (NSSO)
- Space-Based Solar Power Study Group
- Space-Based Solar Power As an Opportunity for Strategic Security
Phase 0 Architecture Feasibility Study
- Citizens for Space Based Solar Power